Ontario Power Generation Inc. awarded Peter Kiewit Sons Co., a subsidiary of Kiewit Corporation, the decommissioning project of both the Toronto and Ontario Power Generating Stations in Niagara Falls, Ontario. The powerhouses were constructed around 1900 and were under long term lease from the Niagara Parks commission. The Toronto generating station has been out of service since 1974 and the Ontario generating station since 1999.
The scope of work at the Toronto Power Generating Station included electrical and mechanical removal of all equipment down to the thrust deck floor. The major civil work included the sealing of 23 portals and backfilling of the Powerhouse’s inner forebay. This required dewatering of the inner and outer forebays by means of a rock berm cofferdam approximately 80 meters in length.
The scope of work at the Ontario Power Generating Station included electrical and mechanical removals of all equipment on the generator floor and subsequent sealing of the penstock openings. The intakes were located above Niagara Falls at the Gatehouse. Civil work also involved removal of the existing headgates at the gatehouse and replace with permanent concrete seals. This work required dewatering by means of a sectional stoplog cofferdam.